Monday, November 10, 2014

November 4, 2014
Tuesday I did a school in the morning and a faculty workshop in the afternoon. No sightseeing for me. My performances have been received pretty positively and it’s been a lovely boost to hear the appreciation. The kids are engaged and excited in a different way than in the U.S., though I’m not sure I could say how. Pablo got some good shots of me throughout the tour that he has generously shared. I'll have to update my website!


The faculty workshop went well too. Lots of interested questions from the teachers which was pretty impressive considering that, for them, I was doing the workshop in a foreign language.


But the news that dominated the day (and all of the days thereafter) was the capture of the Mayor and his wife who had been suspects in the disappearance of the 43 students. The level of cynicism about the government here is several orders of magnitude greater than anything I’ve encountered in the United States. And much more widespread. I certainly hope that our goal of government by the people doesn’t fall by the way. Living in a society where the people and their government are enemies of each other is a tragedy I hope never to see. I am resolved, this election day, to remember that no matter the  opinions, backgrounds or values, we are one people.


No comments:

Post a Comment