Friday, May 22, 2015

May 21, 2015

Chorillos, near Lima – Today I had four programs at Colegio St.Ignacio de Recalde, working with 3rd and 4th graders. We arrived at the school in plenty of time so we hung out in the office for a while
and got to check out some publicity they were putting up for an upcoming conference on parenting. The world needs a conference that can put the Lice back in Licensing.
 
Also got a look at the publicity they put together for me and Jaime (a Canadian Storyteller who is coming at the end of the week). They did a nice job. There’s a little touch of Moomintroll/Dr. Seuss to it I think.

 The level of English at St. Ignacio de Ricalde was lower than I’ve encountered so far in Peru, and it was hard work throughout the day. The toughest day so far. I’ll be back at this school next Tuesday for another half day of work.

On the way home we continued to see the ingenious ways people come up with to earn a sol or two. This mechanical man must have been boiling – it was only 72, but in the sun it felt much warmer. Still, he put on a pretty good stoplight show.


Back at our apartment, Pablo and I decided to walk to a restaurant in Chorillos that one of the other tour managers had recommended: Sonia.

It was a lovely walk, taking us through a neighborhood I didn’t know existed. Within 15 minutes I could see the sea.

I hadn’t realized how close to the ocean we were. There was a nice view of some boats and even some swimmers and a good look at the Lima coast line as well. When I was in Chile I made appoint of taking a dip on the shores of Antofagasta. I may try to get myself into the South Pacific again before I leave Peru.

On the way we got a good look at a bird that Pablo thought was a “cardenal”. It was red alright, but not like any of our cardinals. Pablo looked it up on the internet and came up with “un colibri negro.” It looks a bit like a Brazilian Tanager. The range isn't right but I can't figure out what else it could be.

 I was also able to get a shot of what Pablo calls una bumbona. They’re very much like our mourning doves, except they have a distinct two tone call, mimicking the first two tones of a major scale. I hear them every morning when I wake up at our apartment.

Sonia’s is about a block off the ocean overlook, down a quaint, but non-descript little calle. We were looking for a sign for the restaurant, but all we saw was this lovely floral arrangement hanging over a wall.
Turns out that marked the entrance to the restaurant. You have to knock at an unadorned wooden door. A man opens it up, checks you out, and then you can come in. I was glad we made the cut. We were hungry.

Inside it is all Peruvian charm. The food is relatively expensive, but quite good and very Peruvian. It presented very well.



One of the mourning doves
decided to join us during the meal.

Leaving the restaurant we noticed the boat immediately outside. I’m not sure how we missed it going in. Too busy looking for some sign of the restaurant, I guess. 


We headed back, passing some “street artists” painting the power poles.
Near a play park, Pablo enticed a young lad in a quick game of soccer in the street, one of the most insane places to engage in fútbol that I can think of. The American Cup is coming up and Pablo is keen to see Argentina beat Brazil.


As we were walking down the street to our apart-ment  we noticed an inte-resting shrub. We weren’t sure whether the calculator was ripe so we didn’t pick it. But I’m keeping my eye open for more in the days to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment